James Moore - As a nation 1981



He was born in the gospel "hotbed" of Detroit, Michigan. Moore's professional break came in 1974 at the James Cleveland Gospel Music Workshop of America held in Chicago, Illinois. It was here that he received the Thurston Frazier Scholarship Award. That same year he recorded his first album, "I Thank You Master" with Savoy Records which garnered moderate success. Perhaps one of the greatest moments in his life was the day he met Andre Crough. He was in California along with his producer “Gentry McCreary” when they went to Andrae’s house, so that he could sing a few songs for him. Then he recorded album 1981.
This album was released on Luminar Records in 1981 entitled “Brothers and Sisters, I’ll be praying for you”. Later it was released on Light Records in the same year.



Produced and arranged by Melvin D.Seals. I chose a track entitled "As a nation".



After three rare recordings, "God Can Do Anything" on Secret Records; "Something Old, Something New" on Sound of Gospel Records and "Jesus use me" on Yosiah Records, he returned to Malaco/Savoy to record "Rev.James Moore Live". This album reached the top ten of Billboard and Cashbox Magazine's top forty Spiritual charts. Selections such as "Bread of Heaven" and "He Was There All The Time" garnered him a Stellar Award in 1989 for Best Solo Performance-Male Vocalist, Traditional. This same album received a nomination from the GMWA Excellence Awards.
His guest appearance on the Mississippi Mass Choir's debut album certainly contributed to the phenomenal success it achieved - forty-eight weeks at number one, four Stellar Awards, three GMWA Excellence Awards, three Dove Nominations, and one Soul Train Award nomination.

It's been said that turnabout is fair play. With the Mississippi Mass Choir's reciprocating appearance on his album, "Live with the Mississippi Mass Choir", turnabout turned in to great-play; as in air-play. Songs like "Joy", "We Worship Christ the Lord", and "God Will Take Care Of You" certified this project as a classic.

In March of 1991 Billboard Magazine confirmed that the album had achieved the #1 position in the country. This project also garnered Rev. Moore a Dove nomination and a Stellar Award for Best Gospel video.

The "Live In Detroit" project, recorded in his hometown, reached the #3 position on Billboard Magazine's Top 40 Gospel chart. It featured such classics as " I Stood on the Banks of Jordan" and "Old Rugged Cross".

Rev. Moore's 4th project, "I Will Trust in the Lord" reached the #4 postion on Billboard's Top 40 and received a Grammy nomination.




Note: The above posted track is not played in full

Comments

TazaelyEnt said…
I hate to tell you this, but there's one part of the biography that is incorrect. Rev. James Moore didn't record the album, "Jesus Use Me". I know this because I am James Moore, the artist who recorded that project. Otherwise, great bio!

Yosiah Israel, the producer of my album, was a dear friend of mine. WE met when he heard me singing in a store in 1984... he decided to record me.

It wasn't until after the project was released that I became aware of the great Reverend James Moore (who was SUPER AWESOME!!!!); I wouldn't have used my real name if I had been aware. And, by the way, I haven't used my real name in music since the 80s.

Popular posts from this blog

Arnie Love & The Loveletts - Me, Myself & I

The Muglestons - The Muglestons 1977 Lp

Sir James Randolph - The Sophisticated Funk of James Randolph 1981 Lp