MayneStream - Sheri 1979



I have recently discovered this record. I want to note that when I heard it, I was impressed, because I had a long time to hear a great soul latin song like this. MayneStream was an unknown studio band.


Jay Maynes aka Juan Oskar was raised and lives in Glendale, Arizona, He is the oldest of ten children, of a musical family. He has been a working musician, since he was 17 years old. He has played many styles and many venues.
In 1979 he did a studio project and recorded two songs "Kick'n the Brass / Sheri" at Desert Sound Recording Studio, Glendale, AZ. This studio was founded in 1972 by the recording engineer, guitarist, bassist, keyboartist, drummer and vocalist Sandy Lamont. Both of these songs were released as a single on La Perla Cafe Records in 1979.  The name of the label was taken from a cafe-restuarant in Glendale.
I have chosen "Sheri" which was written by Jose LeGerrette in the 60s as a ballad. The musicians on "Sheri" were Jay Maynes on piano, keyboards and vocals,  Robin Maynes (brother of Jay) on guitar, Scott Kaye on bass, guitar and Robert Scott on drums. Produced, arranged and vocals by Jay Maynes.



Note: The above posted single is not played in full

I want to thank Jay Maynes aka Juan Oskar for all his info

Comments

Juan Oskar said…
Sheri Fact Sheet:
*Joe LeGerrette: was a lounge guitar player in the 1940’s 50s, 60s, into the early 70s. He wrote ‘Sheri’ in the 1960s as a ballad but I wanted to record it more as a samba for him. Joe passed away about 15 years ago of old age.
*La Perla CafĂ©: Is a restaurant since 1946. Joe ‘Butch’ Pompa is the son of the original owner and still in business. As a kid I washed dishes there and I have had several bands that have played there the last 30 years. http://www.urbanspoon.com/rph/22/262594/671151/phoenix-la-perla-cafe-view-from-the-east-photo?page=1
Musicians on ‘Sheri’
*Jay Maynes aka Juan Oskar www.juanoskar.biz Piano, keyboards, vocals.
*Robin Maynes: Guitar (My brother)
*Scott Kaye: Bass Guitar
*Drums: Robert Scott (He’s on Facebook)
*Sandy Lamont: Desert Sound was a studio Sandy owned, now it’s a studio at his home.
*Recorded 1979
*The band Maynestream was a studio project, it was never a band but we all still live in the same area and still keep in contact.
JERILYNN said…
Nice to see that my dad (Jose L.) gets credit! I have always loved that song. Now...if only I could find someone to record "Punkins Polka".:)

Popular posts from this blog

Arnie Love & The Loveletts - Me, Myself & I

The Muglestons - The Muglestons 1977 Lp

Sir James Randolph - The Sophisticated Funk of James Randolph 1981 Lp